Birth & Postpartum Classes
Classes at Waddle n Swaddle with Mavis Gewant
Comfort Measures for Labor
This class will give you practical hands on tools to help during labor and birth. Since women respond differently to labor, we will explore a variety of coping strategies such as relaxation and breathing techniques, massage, positions including creative ways to use a birth ball, stages of labor and much more. Partners will learn valuable techniques for being a great support during labor and birth.
This class is $65
Waddle n Swaddle, Poughkeepsie
*Please bring two pillows to this class*.
Check website for dates
Expectant parents will receive practical, hands-on tools for confidently caring for their newborn baby. Taught by a leading local doula, the topics covered in this class include:
* Hospital procedures
* Newborn appearance, senses & temperament
* Communicating with your newborn
* Daily care including bathing, feeding, sleeping, diapering & swaddling
* Mother care
* Necessary (and unnecessary) equipment
This class is $55 . Partner or support person is encouraged to attend.
Waddle n Swaddle - Poughkeepsie
check website for dates
One Day Labor Intensive
Perfect for those with limited time, this one-day course covers everything you need to know about labor and birth:
* Anatomy and Physiology of Pregnancy, Labor, Birth and Postpartum
* Prenatal exercises and nutrition
* Choosing or changing care providers
* Third trimester issues: normal discomforts, remedies, physical intimacy, and preparation for birth
* Technology, medication and intervention: making informed choices
* Coping strategies - Comfort Measures, Relaxation Techniques
* Positions for Labor and Birth, Massage for Back Labor
* Role of the Support Person
* Overview of newborn and breastfeeding
This class is $155 for six hours including a lunch break; . *Please bring two pillows to this class*.
Waddle n Swaddle - Poughkeepsie
Private Classes Available, email me for details
Calm Birth prenatal classes focus on the use of three meditation practices that teach women how to use their innate healing abilities. The program encourages natural childbirth, however, the practices are especially beneficial when medical interventions are used during childbirth. If medical interventions are used, the method works with current childbirth medicine to raise the quality of the birth and heal negative side effects. The practices work together to offer stress reduction, immune support, hormone balancing and ease of labor. This unique class blends hands-on classroom instruction with the Calm Birth CD to be listened to in the privacy and comfort of home. Calm Birth serves as a wonderful enhancement to other standard childbirth preparation classes and partners are encouraged to attend. for more information please visit Calm Birth Website This two session class may be taken as early in pregnancy as possible. For more information visit the Calm Birth Website.
Some of the many proven benefits of Calm Birth are:
* Helps heal the nervous systems of mother and child in preparation for birth
* Creates a shorter, easier and less painful labor experience by increasing endorphins and oxytocin
* Reduces chance of cesarean section up to 56%
* Reduces the need for epidural anesthesia up to 85%
This class is $120 for a 2 day series which includes a CD
Email me for details